As a parent, we understand that technology in education can be overwhelming at times. That's why our dedicated team, including a designated Computer Specialist for each school, is here to support you. We are commited to providing reliable support in navigating the world of educational technology. We're here to ensure that technology works seamlessly for you and your child.
Whether you have questions, need assistance with your child's device, or encounter any technical challenges, we've got you covered. Our friendly experts are just an email away, ready to provide the guidance you need. Let us take care of the technology side, so you can focus on supporting your child's educational journey.
Contact Your Computer Specialist
|Deer Ridge||Christine Knecht|
|Lafayette Meadows||Melissa Osterman|
|Whispering Meadows||Shilo Maack|
Frequently Asked Questions - Parent Observers in Canvas LMS
What is a parent observer in Canvas? A parent observer is a user role in Canvas LMS that allows parents or guardians to observe their child's activities, grades, and course progress within the Canvas platform.
How do I sign up as a parent observer? To sign up as a parent observer, follow these steps:
How do I add additional students to my parent account? If you have multiple children using Canvas, you can add them to your parent account by following these steps:
How do I change the language in my parent account? To change the language in your parent account, follow these steps:
What can I see as a parent observer? As a parent observer, you can view your child's courses, assignments, due dates, grades, announcements, and other course-related content. You will have access to the same information that your child has within their Canvas courses.
How do I navigate and view my child's courses? Once you have signed up as a parent observer, you can log in to Canvas using your observer account credentials. On the Canvas dashboard, you will see a list of your observed students. Click on your child's name to access their courses and view the course content.
How can I monitor my child's grades? To monitor your child's grades, click on the "Grades" link in the course navigation menu. You will be able to see a summary of their grades, individual assignment grades, and any comments provided by the instructor. Reminder that PowerSchool is the place to check for your child’s complete grade. Not all assignments are in Canvas.
Can I communicate with my child's instructor through Canvas? Yes, Canvas allows you to communicate with your child's instructor. You can send messages directly to the instructor from within the Canvas messaging system. Look for the "Inbox" or "Messages" option in the course navigation menu to access the messaging feature.
Where can I find additional help and support? If you have any technical issues or need assistance with using Canvas as a parent observer, you can refer to the Canvas documentation and support resources. Below are some helpful links:
Please note that specific instructions and features may vary depending on your child's institution and their Canvas setup. For any institution-specific questions, reach out to the school or your child's instructor directly.
Frequently Asked Questions: PowerSchool for Parents
1. What is PowerSchool? PowerSchool is a web-based student information system used by schools to manage and track student data, including grades, attendance, assignments, and more. It provides parents with an online portal and mobile app to access their child's academic information.
2. How do I access PowerSchool as a parent? To access PowerSchool as a parent, you will need login credentials provided by your child's school. Visit the PowerSchool login page and enter your username and password. If you don't have login information or are experiencing difficulties, contact your child's school administration for assistance.
3. Can I use PowerSchool on my mobile device? Yes, PowerSchool offers a mobile app called "PowerSchool Mobile." It is available for both iOS and Android devices. You can download the app from the respective app stores and log in using your PowerSchool parent account credentials.
4. How do I set up the PowerSchool Mobile app? To set up the PowerSchool Mobile app, follow these steps:
5. What is our District code? For Southwest Allen County School (SACS), the district code for PowerSchool is FZJN. When logging into PowerSchool or using the PowerSchool Mobile app, you may be asked to enter your district code. In this case, please enter FZJN to access your child's information within the SACS district.
6. What features are available on the PowerSchool Mobile app? The PowerSchool Mobile app offers several features for parents, including:
7. Can I add multiple students to my PowerSchool account? Yes, you can add multiple students to your PowerSchool account. Once you log in to PowerSchool, you should see an option to add another student. Follow the instructions provided to link their accounts to yours.
8. What should I do if I forgot my PowerSchool password? If you forgot your PowerSchool password, visit the PowerSchool login page and click on the "Forgot Password?" link. Follow the instructions to reset your password. If you encounter any difficulties during this process, reach out to your child's school for assistance.
9. How often is PowerSchool updated with new grades and information? The frequency of updates in PowerSchool may vary depending on the school and its policies. Teachers typically update grades and attendance regularly, but it's best to check with your child's school for specific information regarding update schedules.
10. Is there a PowerSchool app for Windows or other platforms? Currently, the PowerSchool Mobile app is available for iOS and Android devices only. However, you can still access PowerSchool through a web browser on your Windows computer or any other platform by visiting the PowerSchool website.
11. What should I do if I have technical issues with PowerSchool? If you encounter technical issues while using PowerSchool or the PowerSchool Mobile app, first ensure that you have a stable internet connection. If the problem persists, contact your child's school for technical support. They will be able to assist you further or direct you to the appropriate IT department.
Remember, for any specific questions or concerns regarding your child's academic progress, it's always best to reach out directly to their teachers or school administration for more personalized assistance.
ParentSquare FAQ for Parents
What is ParentSquare? ParentSquare is a communication platform designed to streamline communication between parents, schools, and teachers. It enables efficient and secure communication through features like announcements, private messaging, event calendars, volunteer sign-ups, and more.
How do I sign up for ParentSquare? To sign up for ParentSquare, you will need an invitation from your child's school or district. Once you receive the invitation, follow the provided instructions to create your account. If you haven't received an invitation, reach out to your school's administration or ParentSquare support for assistance.
Can I use ParentSquare on my mobile device? Yes, ParentSquare is available as a mobile app for both iOS and Android devices. You can download the app from the respective app stores and log in using your ParentSquare account credentials.
How can I stay updated on my child's school activities? ParentSquare keeps you informed about school activities through announcements, newsletters, and event notifications. Make sure your account settings are configured to receive notifications, and regularly check the platform or the mobile app for updates.
How do I communicate with my child's teacher? ParentSquare provides a private messaging feature that allows you to communicate directly with your child's teacher. You can send messages, ask questions, and discuss any concerns you may have. Look for the messaging option within the platform or the mobile app.
Can I volunteer for school events through ParentSquare? Yes, ParentSquare allows you to sign up for volunteer opportunities offered by your child's school. Check the "Volunteer" section within ParentSquare for available events and sign-up instructions.
What if I have technical issues or need support? If you encounter any technical issues or require support, you can reach out to ParentSquare's customer support team. Look for the "Support" or "Help" section within the platform or website to find contact information and available support resources.
Resources from ParentSquare:
a. ParentSquare Help Center: ParentSquare provides a comprehensive Help Center that offers guides, tutorials, and troubleshooting tips. Visit their Help Center on their website for self-help resources.
b. ParentSquare Blog: The ParentSquare Blog features articles and insights related to parent-teacher communication, school involvement, and other relevant topics. Explore their blog to find helpful information and tips.
c. Webinars and Training Videos: ParentSquare regularly conducts webinars and provides training videos to help parents make the most of the platform's features. Keep an eye out for announcements regarding upcoming webinars or browse their video library for on-demand training.
d. Community Forums: ParentSquare hosts community forums where parents can interact with each other, share experiences, and ask questions. Participating in these forums can provide valuable insights and support from other parents using the platform.
Remember, if you have specific questions about your child's school's implementation of ParentSquare or need personalized assistance, it's best to reach out to your school's administration or ParentSquare's support team directly.
iPad Troubleshooting FAQ
Q: What should I do if my iPad is not turning on? A: First, make sure your iPad has sufficient battery power. Connect it to a power source using a genuine Apple charger and cable. If it still doesn't turn on, try a hard reset by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button (for iPads with a Home button) or the Sleep/Wake button and the Volume Up button (for iPads without a Home button) simultaneously until the Apple logo appears.
Q: How can I fix issues with app performance or crashes? A: Start by force-quitting the problematic app. Double-press the Home button (for iPads with a Home button) or swipe up from the bottom of the screen (for iPads without a Home button) to open the app switcher. Locate the app and swipe its preview card up or off the top of the screen to force quit it. If the issue persists, try updating the app or reinstalling it from the App Store.
Q: My iPad is not charging. What should I do? A: Verify that you are using a genuine Apple charger and cable. Ensure that the charging port and cable connectors are clean from dust or debris. Test the charger with a different power outlet or USB port. If the iPad still doesn't charge, contact your building's Computer Specialist for further assistance.
Q: How can I resolve Wi-Fi connectivity problems? A: Start by ensuring that your iPad is within range of a stable Wi-Fi network. If you're experiencing connectivity issues, try restarting your iPad and the Wi-Fi router. You can also go to "Settings" > "Wi-Fi," tap the network you're connected to, and select "Forget This Network." Then, reconnect to the network and enter the password if prompted. If the problem persists, contact your building's Computer Specialist for help.
Q: What should I do if my iPad is running slowly? A: Check if there are any pending software updates for your iPad. Outdated software can impact performance. Go to "Settings" > "General" > "Software Update" to check for updates. You can also try closing background apps, clearing cache data, or resetting all settings on your iPad. If the issue persists, contact your building's Computer Specialist for further assistance.
Q: Where can I get further assistance with my iPad? A: If you've tried the troubleshooting steps provided and still need help, reach out to your building's Computer Specialist. They have the expertise to assist you with device-related issues and can provide guidance tailored to your school's specific iPad deployment.
Remember, while these troubleshooting steps can help resolve common iPad issues, it's always advisable to seek assistance from your building's Computer Specialist for comprehensive support and guidance tailored to your school's iPad deployment.
If you are experiencing issues with any of the following services, it is recommended to visit their respective status pages for the most up-to-date information. Here are the status page links:
Please note that the provided links are subject to change, so it's always recommended to visit the respective websites for the most up-to-date information.